April 19, 2007
Tierra Griffiths / Julie Rowe
The Impetus Agency
tierra@TheImpetusAgency.com / julie@TheImpetusAgency.com
APPMA Urges Pet Owners to Buckle-Up Pets
-Despite Safety Concerns, Dangers and a Growing Number of State Requirements, Almost Two-Thirds Admit to Not Using a Pet Restraint-
GREENWICH, CONN., April 19, 2007 – As millions of Americans get set to hit the road for summer vacations, the American Pet Products Manufacturers Association (APPMA) urges pet owners to be responsible and buckle-up their pets.
According to the 2007-2008 APPMA National Pet Owners Survey, 80% of pet owners say they travel with their pets but never use a restraint.
According to the Travel Industry Association of America, of the 71 million people in the U.S. who own dogs, over 29 million travel with them. This not only includes the busy vacation summer months, but in many cases, daily trips around home.
As travel with pets increases, more states are initiating laws addressing dogs in vehicles.California requires dogs in the open back of a pickup to be either in a cage or cross-tied to the truck unless the sides of the truck are at least 46 inches high.
New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Maine, Oregon, Washington, Florida and Rhode Island restrict dogs from pickup trucks or open vehicles with the exception of some working dogs. Nevada, New York and Vermont have bills pending that would also ban the transport of dogs in the back of pickup trucks.
“I think in many cases what keeps people from utilizing pet restraints is a misconception that they require too much time and money to install and use them,” said APPMA President, Bob Vetere. “As is the case in almost every sector of the pet industry, manufacturers are bringing more convenient products to market, and travel safety devices are no exception.”
APPMA has compiled a list of pet travel products that are not only easy to install and use but also protect pets and people in vehicles, as well as make travel more convenient and enjoyable.
- Ruff Rider’s Canine Vehicle Restraint System easily attaches to any vehicle’s seatbelt system.The Canine Vehicle Restraint System is vet approved and exceeds S.A.E. tensile strength standards for human seatbelts.It also includes a short walking lead for all-around use.www.ruffrider.com
- Veterinary Ventures Inc.’s new Hydro-Go™ Portable Pet Canteen features a convenient fold out bowl which allows for easy drinking when you’re away from home. And, its unique design allows for quick clean up. The bowl and canteen work together to form a funnel, easily allowing the unused water to be poured back into the canteen.The bowl also easily detaches, allowing the canteen to be used as a second bowl, giving you a food and water bowl. The Hydro-Go™ has a wide, adjustable shoulder strap for comfort. It holds 36 ounces of water and is dishwasher safe.www.petfountain.com
- Don’t forget your pet when you lather up with sunscreen this summer.Doggles’ Pet Sunscreen is designed specifically for dog’s skin to avoid irritation.Many pet owners don’t realize their pets can get sunburned, so it’s important to apply the Pet Sunscreen to their nose and the tips of their ears.Pet Sunscreen also helps with coat conditions and helps to prevent sun bleaching in dark haired animals. www.doggles.com
- Komfort Pets has introduced a new Climate Controlled Pet Carrier.The kennels utilize thermal electronic technology and state of the art airflow systems to consistently maintain an interior kennel temperature of 72 degrees.You can also accessorize the pet carrier with safety features including technology in the kennel that can notify the pet owner via text message to a cell phone if the power source has been interrupted or the temperature is out of range.www.komfortpets.com
- Kurgo’s Auto Zip Line™ features a tension cable that attaches between the two rear passenger side handles, creating a tether run for the dog. The secured line allows the dog the freedom of moving around in the back seat while providing safety in case of sudden stops.www.kurgo.com
- The Backseat Barrier™ by Kurgo is a strong divider that attaches behind the driver and passenger’s seats and restricts dogs from moving between the front and back seats of the vehicle.Dogs stay where you put them, protecting driver and passengers from the potential hazard of your family pet lunging into the front seat. www.kurgo.com
- And you couldn’t possibly forget Aspen Pet Products’ DogGone Songs™ - Traveling Tunes For You and Your Pet! This musical CD contains soothing piano melodies composed with the award-winning Schoenberger Effect. Composer and creator Thomas Schoenberger’s award-winning music was originally composed to delight a new generation of infants and babies, but his mesmerizing melodies have also proved successful in calming pets. The original compositions will provide a peaceful and noticeable calmness over your pet during travel.www.aspenpet.com.
The American Pet Products Manufacturer's Association (APPMA) is the leading not-for-profit trade association serving the interests of the pet products industry since 1958. APPMA membership includes more than 950 pet product manufacturers, their representatives, importers and livestock suppliers representing both large corporations and growing business enterprises. APPMA's mission is to promote, develop and advance pet ownership and the pet product industry and to provide the services necessary to help its members prosper. Visit www.appma.org for more information.
Connect With Us
american pet product association american pet products american pet products association appa appa members bob vetere children's poetry contest dogs global pet expo gpe national pet owners survey pal pet industry pet industry distributors association pet products pet statistics pets pets add life poetry contest summer